SAHFOS has an open and transparent approach to data availability, data requests and data citation. SAHFOS believes its plankton observation, ancillary datasets and associated metadata should be freely available to collaborating researchers. Increasing the number of scientists that can access and work with SAHFOS datasets will accelerate the progress of marine ecological science and understanding; enhancing the societal benefit derived from SAHFOS data.
Explore our data
Data request process
The process to request access to SAHFOS data is as follows:
- Enquiries for access to CPR data and samples should be made via the Data Request Form
- Within one week of submission, the Laboratory or IT Manager will contact the request originator to clarify the request and/or provide a data licence agreement for signature
- Data will be extracted and the dataset specified in the data licence agreement will be produced by the SAHFOS Data Product Team
- A custom Digital Object Identifier (DOI) will be minted and a copy of the dataset archived by SAHFOS
- On receipt of the signed data licence agreement the dataset will be released. It is only for use as set out by the terms and conditions of the data licence agreement
- The data request originator will be paired with a member of SAHFOS staff who will act as on-going point of contact and collaborator once the requested dataset has been released. The SAHFOS staff collaborator will also provide expertise and advice in data use and interpretation
The SAHFOS data licence grants permissions for users to work on a specified SAHFOS dataset for a limited period of time. At the expiry of this permission, the original and all copies of the dataset must be destroyed.
Which SAHFOS researcher will you collaborate with?
Datasets are provided with an embedded SAHFOS attribution, suggested citation and Digital Object Identifier (DOI) which must be used to acknowledge the dataset as specified in the data licence agreement.
SAHFOS requires individuals in possession of SAHFOS data to report to the Foundation, for the lifetime of the data licence agreement, on the use of the data, its inclusion into data products and dissemination through publication.
SAHFOS expects that co-authorship will be offered to SAHFOS staff in response to their active collaboration on projects requiring the use of SAHFOS data products.